New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Is there room for a non-profit computer science degree provider?

Ask HN: Is there room for a non-profit computer science degree provider?
9 by trcollinson | 8 comments on Hacker News.
I was reading over in the “What did you work on in 2017” thread and noticed quite a number of people are working on bootcamp style engineering curriculums. That led me to wonder again about something I’ve thought of before: Why isn’t there a bootcamp that provides a bachelors level computer science degree? I realize that most bootcamps are focused on providing people with the skills needed to get a job quickly, getting a bachelors level degree is a different market. But I would imagine there are people who would like that level of degree. I also realize that a bachelors level degree has a number of requirements that aren’t purely comp sci requirements. I don’t see that as a problem. Why not have a full curriculum? I think that is possible. Also, why does a comp sci degree have to cost so much? In fact, if you’re willing to put in the effort to learn and grow why can’t it be free? This may be a very US centric view. I know other countries have different ways of paying for college educations. But here in the US it’s going to cost you tens of thousands of dollars at minimum. Does it have to be that way? So I guess my question is, why can’t there be a free or low cost, not for profit, accredited bachelors level computer science degree? What am I missing?

https://ClusterAssets.tk

Comments